This week for the Sunday Baking Club, its ‘charity cherries week’. Each person who bakes with the nominated ingredient of French glace cherries automatically earns £2 for charity. And whoever wins overall gets all of the winnings donated to their chosen charity. This will come as no surprise here as I am currently fundraising for them myself, but my chosen charity is Cancer Research. Happy charity cherries week!
- 200g French glace cherries, washed, dried and sprinkled in flour
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g butter
- 180g sugar
- 40ml sunflower oil
- 3 medium eggs
- 120g ground almonds
- Cream the butter, sugar and oil together on a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and allow to beat for another minute.
- Add the flour and eggs a little at a time, then the almonds. Allow to beat for 1 more minute then turn off the mixer.
- Fold into the mix the cherries with a wooden spoon.
- Split the mixture between two greased loaf tins and bake in an oven preheated to 170 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Check after 30 minutes.
- Once the cakes have cooled, make a simple icing drizzle and decorate.